Giving up a little bit of your time to support Northern Ireland Hospice can be very rewarding. It doesn’t matter how much time you have to offer, but by contributing a morning or afternoon each week, you would make a real difference to the lives of local people living with life-limiting and terminal illnesses.
By volunteering, not only will you help raise valuable funds for Hospice, but you will also build new friendships, learn new skills and have some great fun!
Who can be a shop volunteer?
- Anyone from the age of 15 upwards – we have volunteers in their 80’s still going strong!
- Retired people
- School and college students including those doing award schemes such as Duke of Edinburgh and President’s Badge
- People seeking work experience or retail skills
- Those who want to get out of the house for a while
- People returning to work after illness, bringing up a family or caring for a loved one
What can you expect to be doing as a shop volunteer?
- Sorting and pricing stock
- Preparing and steaming goods for the sales floor
- Operating the till and offering good customer service
- Receiving stock donations
- Window display and merchandising stock
- Tidying and maintaining the shop floor
- Gift Aid promotion and registering stock donors
What experience do I need to be a shop volunteer?
- No retail experience necessary, however, we are always happy to avail of existing skills if you have these
- A warm and welcoming personality
- A desire to make a difference to those who need our help
- An interest in charity retailing
What are the benefits of being a shop volunteer?
- Enjoyment of interacting with customers, donors and colleagues
- Gaining confidence
- Building Retail skills such as visual merchandising
- Meeting new people
- Having fun
How do I become a shop volunteer?
- Complete the below application form and return to us. Once we have received your application form, we will arrange for you to have a chat with the manager of the shop in which you wish to volunteer and if there is a position available, we will contact your references and arrange a start date.
- Visit or phone your closest shop and speak with the manager who will be happy to discuss opportunities and help you complete our simple application form.
- Contact our Retail Office directly on 028 9037 2780 or email: email@example.com
- Full training will be given throughout your initial weeks of volunteering
Kate Barnett - NI Hospice Shop Volunteer
Kate Barnett is just one of our amazing volunteers who selflessly donates her time to the Hospice. Kate has been volunteering in the Antrim Road Hospice Shop for three years and says: "it's been the best three years of my life".
In the video below, she talks about her volunteering role and what it entails.