This March, Northern Ireland Hospice and Children's Hospice is giving you the opportunity to write or update your Will for FREE through a local solicitor firm.
Making a Will is often seen as a very sensitive subject, one which many people prefer to put off until a later date. However, a professionally written Will written by a solicitor ensures your wishes are respected. It also avoids difficult decisions and legal complications for your loved ones.
Amazingly, over 80% of people in Northern Ireland do not have a Will. We're aiming to raise vital awareness of the importance of making a Will through this campaign to prevent the sort of issues that can arise when someone doesn't have a Will in place.
By taking part in Make a Will month, we hope that you will consider making a discretionary donation to Hospice or consider leaving a gift in your Will to Northern Ireland Hospice or Children's Hospice.
Gifts in Wills are incredibly important to us and make up an essential portion of our voluntary income. Without these generous gifts, we couldn't continue to care for local people who need it most.
Why take part in Make a Will Month?
Having an up-to-date Will is incredibly important, no matter what your age or health. Although it’s not an easy subject to talk about, making a Will has many benefits. Here are just some of reasons why you should write a Will:
- To make sure your loved ones, including children, are looked after when you’re gone
- To ensure your assets go where you would want and that your wishes are fulfilled
- To minimise family disputes
- Leave gifts to family, friends and charity
- Gifts to UK registered charities, like Northern Ireland Hospice and Children's Hospice, are free of Inheritance Tax. This means that the full amount you intend to leave to your chosen charity is received by the charity, rather than 40% going to the Government
How do I get involved?
- Simply choose a solicitor from the list of participating Will Month solicitors below.
- Make an appointment with your chosen solicitor
- Attend the appointment to make your Will. All information is treated with confidentially
We understand that this year’s Make A Will Month will operate a little differently to previous years. Your safety is of the utmost importance to us, and there are various options for you to complete your Will in a safe and convenient way. You can make a virtual appointment with a participating solicitor, or if you prefer a face-to-face appointment this will take place. Please discuss this with your solicitor.
How do I donate?
As most of our participating solicitors are working from home, we're encouraging all donations to be made online. If you would like to donate, please click here. Your donation will make a real difference and enable us to continue to care for local people who need it most.
If you have decided to leave a gift in your Will to Northern Ireland Hospice or Children's Hospice, and would like to share your intentions with us, we'd be really grateful if you could email us at firstname.lastname@example.org - it would be lovely to be able to thank you personally.
Please choose a solicitor from the list of solicitors below.