This year the COVID-19 pandemic has made it impossible for us to hold our traditional Lights to Remember ceremony, but we are determined to support families across Northern Ireland who have lost a loved one.
On Thursday 17 December we will be hosting our special online ceremony and asking families to join with us and hold their own personal vigil. Everyone can make it their own individual event but to help we’ve listed some ways below to help create your own Lights to Remember.
- Put the date and time in your calendar now, Thursday 17 December, 7pm. This will mean you have time set aside away from all the Christmas arrangements which can easily take over at this time of year.
- Arrange for your family or friends to join you for the event, if you can’t meet up physically, then call them, or meet online and be together as we broadcast the ceremony.
- Take some time before the ceremony starts to talk about your memories and remember the good times, the sad times and the things that made you laugh.
- Have photographs of your loved one around you.
- Dim your lights and have candles (please be safe with fire). We’ve always had small LED candles, these can be bought cheaply in local shops. For health reasons this year, we can’t issue our normal candles.
- Share your memory of your loved one so it can be placed on our virtual tree, just Click Here and you'll be taken to our special tree where you can choose a light and leave a dedication in memory of your loved one.
- At 7pm on the 17 December, sit back, relax and enjoy the music and reflections of our service and watch as the lights at Somerton House and Horizon House are turned on. Watch Here